B - Black in Appalachia: A Minority within a Minority
10:30 - 11:20 AM
Zoom room: https://sinclair.zoom.us/j/89742133118?pwd=aExaOHQ3M2d1OGlHZ0xmVHlaa2FHQT09
Login to register
- The purpose of this presentation is to bring awareness of the development and contributions of the African American community to the Appalachian culture. The presentation focus will be upon the unique social issues surrounding being black and Appalachian. Historical and cultural information beneficial to the overall understanding of the Appalachian culture will be examined.
- As a result of attending this session participants will be able to trace the migration of African Americans to the Appalachian region and examine their contributions to the development of the Appalachian culture.
- Participants will recognize Appalachia as a culture, not a race and the African American Appalachians contributions to the development of the Appalachian region.
- Participants will become aware of the services offered to students, faculty and staff of Sinclair College by the Appalachian Outreach department (life coaching, community cultural and historical events as well as scholarships).
Examples of interactive Zoom features:
- Video clips of interviews with residents of Eastern Kentucky
- Family stories of life in Appalachia